The process of detoxification does not have to be daunting or time consuming. In this post we will learn how to safely detoxify the body to improve your overall health and well being.
What is detoxification?
To begin, detoxification is the process of cleansing the body. You will work to cleanse the blood, lymph and skin systems within the body. This process should be gentle, as too much detoxification can release stored toxins too quickly and do more harm then good. It should also be a simple process that works to restore the body systems holistically. Quick fix diets and aggressive cleanses can deplete you and leave more building to do after the initial cleanse than is necessary.
When to Detox:
Many people find Spring as a good time to start a detox/cleanse. You may already be in cleaning mode preparing to shed Winter clutter and prepare for Summer. Why not extend that to your body, as well?
Detoxes can help to remedy:
- Poor circulation
- Joint Pain
- Allergic Responses
Methods of Detoxification:
- Gentle Juice Cleanses- stick to 3 day juice cleanses that are made from organic, raw juices
- Sugar Detox- removing simple carbohydrates (such as sugary treats, soda and other processed foods) and replacing them with complex carbohydrates, good fats and proteins can help the body process your food in more effective ways
- Removing Additives and Artificial Ingredients- while many things in our food supply these days are “general regarded as safe” this is no way means they are the optimal option for one to consume
- Whole Food Diet- less processed foods will be gentler on the digestive and elimination systems and keep you fuller longer
- Drink More Water- this is an easy thing to add in. Rather than drinking large cups, try for 1/2 a cup every half hour. This will keep your body hydrated throughout the day.
- Dry Brushing- used daily, dry brushing can help improve skin quality and circulation
- Mineral Baths- adding mineral salts like himalayan and epsom salts to a bath can help pull toxins from the body and improve muscle function
- Clay- kaolin and bentonite clays can be added to baths or used as masks to draw impurities out of the skin
- Switching to More Natural Products- many of the products you may be using each day contain harmful chemicals that are absorbed into the skin. Too find products that are healthier alternative please check out the Environmental Working Group’s database.
- Massage- manual therapies like Manual Lymph Drainage and stretching can help to flush toxins out of the body and encourage proper circulation
- Acupuncture- your acupuncturist can help support detoxification through the use of needles and/or herbs
- Yoga- the stretching and breathing techniques utilized in yoga can help to promote proper circulation and support and nourish the organs
It is helpful to start slow and keep in mind that the body may react less than favorable to a detox plan at first. This is completely normal as it gets accustom to a lessening of the toxic load. Give your plan at least a week (except for the juice cleanses, which should be limited to 3 days) before expecting results.